Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Post-Call

Displaying photo.JPGFirst of all, you have a dirty mind :) But, since you're here, I will oblige. It's a Tuesday afternoon and my husband arrives home from the hospital, after his call shift that started on Monday morning..  He is now what is considered 'post-call'.  I am cleaning up the kitchen and trying to make the house some what presentable for his arrival home and in the rarity of the moment, both of our younger children are asleep.  They are down for their afternoon naps and my oldest is at school. So, there is a chance of alone time?!  I'm in the kitchen and my husband places down his briefcase, walks over to me and gives me a hug.  The kind of hug that can explain a thousand hardships with just one embrace.  Much doesn't need to be said, because just by the weight of his hug, I can tell that he needs it more than I do.  After our embrace, he kisses me on the lips and he realizes the house is quiet.  "Where are the kids?" he asks.  "Asleep!" I respond, as if I just solved the national debt crisis.  I can tell by the look on his face, he is happy to come home to a quiet house and that he needs sleep himself, but by surprise, he winks at me and says, "I am going to lie down for a bit.  Why don't you come and join me?"  "Okay," I respond coyly. "I'll meet you up there." He heads up the stairs before me.  I quickly finish up in the kitchen and start to head up the stairs myself.  "Is this really happening?" I ask myself.  "On a Tuesday afternoon, really? Well he is my husband, so why not?" Walking through the hallway, I can see in the haste of his excitement, he already starting undressing.  A trail of green scrubs leads me to our bedroom door.  It's cracked open and I can see he's already drawn the blinds closed, the room is dark, with a little bit of daylight seeping through the blinds.  I can make out his body in the bed.  The anticipation is so exciting as I creep into the room and slowly close the door behind me.  I turn around and "ZZZZZZZ."
 "What is that?...Oh" I sigh.  He looks so peaceful.  His chest is slowly rising up and down, his eyes are closed and lips are separated small enough to let out the beginnings of a snore.  My disappointment is starting to dissipate into empathy.  I know he needs his sleep.  So,  I crawl into bed and snuggle up next to him. Happy he is home and comforted knowing my family is together.  All is well with the world, and I start to feel myself nodding off.  Underestimating my own fatigue, I can feel my body get heavy, my breathing starting to slow down, drool is starting to creep into the corner of my mouth and I am falling into a blissful slumber....SEX with the Good Doctor.

"MOOOOOOOMMMMM!!!" I hear coming from my son's room.  No rest for the doctor's wife.

2 comments: